Landing Place at what is now 500 Parker Street was one of two public boat landing sites that served the town in colonial times. ln 1658, John Pierpont built a tidal mill here at the point where the Stony Brook emptied into the Tidal Basin.

In 1821, the Mill Dam was built for power. The Sewall and Day Cordage Mill was built here in 1834, which became the largest manufacturer of rope used in maritime trades.

On February 28, 1998, a historic marker was dedicated at 500 Parker Street in Roxbury by the Emerald Necklace Conservatory, The Bostonian Society, Massachusetts Historical Society, and Northeastern University

roxburylandingsite_marker_updated

Leave a Reply