This post is an except from a 1978 proposal by Dr. Shirley Zavin, Executive Director of Boston 350.
Historic Boston, Inc. has worked tirelessly over the years with developers on this parcel of land that includes the Nawn Factory, Eliot Burial Ground and Eustis Street Firehouse.
On the north perimeter of the Burying Ground is a large brick factory building constructed ca. 1868 by Owen Nawn. The site, however, has a much longer history of commercial and industrial use.
A soap boiler was active here by 1815; subsequently a large wood factory building was constructed and occupied by a “morroco dresser.” As previously mentioned, tanning was one of Roxbury’s most important industries.
Owen Nawn, who acquired the property in 1868 and constructed the present building, was a contractor and one of the 12 most active builders of what Sam Bass Warner called the “street car suburbs” of Boston in the last third of the 19th century.
The Nawn Company was also one of the contractors for the elevated Orange Line on Washington Street. Abandoned for a number of years, the building remains in excellent condition. It is hoped that the factory will be returned to its original use by reopening as a cabinet-making business and testing center for solar equipment.
HBI Nawn Factory Redevelopment ProposalNawn-Board-2B-GC-comments-
HBI – WHAT WAS MADE THERE? THE NAWN FACTORY’S TENANTS AND USES